Missiles
North Korea Fires Barrage of Missiles Toward the Sea, Rebuffing Trump’s Bid to Restart Diplomacy
North Korea launched a barrage of ballistic missiles into the sea off its eastern coast Thursday, a pointed rejection of a recent U.S. gesture aimed at reviving stalled diplomacy — the latest sign that Pyongyang intends to hold out for bigger concessions before returning to the negotiating table with the Trump administration. What Happened South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said North Korea launched about 10 short-range ballistic missiles from the country’s capital region around 5 p.m. local time Thursday, with the missiles traveling roughly 185 miles toward North Korea’s eastern waters. The launch came just a day after North Korean officials publicly dismissed a U.S. decision to scale back the size and duration of joint military drills with South Korea — a move Washington had made in an apparent bid to create space for renewed talks. Pyongyang’s Blunt Rejection Kim Yo Jong, the influential sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, made clear Wednesday that the scaled-back drills weren’t enough to change North Korea’s calculus. “The provocative, aggressive nature of the drills won’t change even though their duration and size were reduced,” she said in a statement, adding a warning to Washington against reading too much into the gesture: “If the U.S. calculates that it can propagate its recent measure as the one of so-called good faith, they will not get the desired answer.” Kim Yo Jong also directly disputed a claim from President Trump that her brother had responded positively to his outreach for a conversation, denying that any such response had been given. Reading Between the Lines Despite the firm rejection, Kim Yo Jong notably avoided the kind of fiery, personally directed rhetoric North Korea has often employed in past standoffs. She specifically noted that personal relations between her brother and Trump remain “still excellent” — a detail analysts say suggests Pyongyang isn’t slamming the door on diplomacy altogether, but rather signaling that it wants Trump to offer more substantial concessions before agreeing to resume formal talks. In other words, Thursday’s missile launch appears designed as calibrated pressure rather than a definitive rejection of engagement. Asked by reporters Wednesday whether he expects to meet with Kim Jong Un before the end of the year, Trump responded simply: “Yeah, I will be” — suggesting the administration remains optimistic about eventually restarting the kind of high-profile, direct diplomacy that characterized Trump’s approach to North Korea during his first term. Part of a Longer Pattern Thursday’s launch fits a well-established pattern in the on-again, off-again relationship between Washington, Seoul, and Pyongyang. North Korea has repeatedly used missile tests over the years as a signal of displeasure with joint U.S.-South Korea military exercises, which it has long characterized as rehearsals for an invasion. Backdrop tensions have simmered for months, with North Korea previously dismissing earlier South Korean peace overtures as a “clumsy, deceptive farce” and warning of “terrible consequences” over prior rounds of joint drills. The Strategic Calculation For Pyongyang, using missile tests to register displeasure while stopping short of a full rhetorical escalation serves a specific purpose: it keeps pressure on Washington and Seoul without foreclosing the possibility of resumed talks, preserving North Korea’s leverage heading into any eventual negotiation. Supporters of the administration’s approach argue that offering to scale back joint drills was a reasonable, low-cost gesture worth attempting, and that North Korea’s calibrated response — firm rejection paired with warm personal comments about the Trump-Kim relationship — actually signals the door to eventual talks remains open, just not yet on terms Pyongyang is prepared to accept. Skeptics note that this is a familiar cycle: the U.S. offers a concession, North Korea rejects it as insufficient while conducting a weapons test to underscore the point, and the two sides remain at a standstill until one party is willing to move further. From that view, genuine breakthroughs with North Korea have historically required much larger, more concrete concessions than a modest reduction in drill size and duration. What Happens Next With Trump signaling continued optimism about an eventual meeting with Kim Jong Un and North Korea leaving the door open, if only narrowly, further diplomatic maneuvering seems likely in the coming months. In the meantime, South Korea’s military continues to closely monitor North Korean military activity, and additional missile tests or other displays of military capability remain a real possibility as both sides continue to feel out the other’s position ahead of any potential return to the negotiating table. This story is developing.
