Skip to main content

The Modern Memo

Edit Template
Aug 18, 2026

US and Iran Blow Through 60-Day Deadline for War Deal as Both Sides Dig In Over Control of Hormuz

Iran's Army Chief Offers Bounty on U.S. Troops Vladimir Oprisko, Unsplash

The 60-day deadline President Trump set in June for reaching a comprehensive deal to end the war with Iran and resolve the dispute over its nuclear program quietly expired Monday, with both sides at a genuine impasse and neither showing meaningful signs of budging — a milestone that is largely symbolic at this point, since both American and Iranian officials had already acknowledged in recent weeks that the underlying agreement had effectively collapsed.

What Was Supposed to Happen

President Trump signed the memorandum of understanding with great fanfare at a ceremony in Versailles back in June, presenting it as the framework that would finally bring the war — then already several months old — to a close. The 14-point agreement, negotiated in Islamabad, called for an immediate halt to military operations and set a 60-day window for the two countries to negotiate a lasting deal covering two central issues: the lifting of sanctions on Iran and a longer-term resolution of the dispute over Iran’s nuclear program. The deadline could have been extended by mutual consent if both sides wanted more time and were making genuine progress.

Instead, the agreement began unraveling almost immediately after it was signed. Disputes over implementation, and specifically over control of the Strait of Hormuz, took center stage almost from the start, effectively pushing the nuclear negotiations — ostensibly the more consequential issue — to the back burner entirely.

How the Ceasefire Fell Apart

The core problem, according to multiple officials and analysts who have tracked the negotiations closely, is that the U.S. and Iran walked away from the June agreement with fundamentally different understandings of what they had actually agreed to regarding the strait. Iranian officials pointed to what they characterized as ambiguous language in the ceasefire deal to declare that certain vessels were passing through the waterway without proper Iranian permission, and Iranian forces fired on some of those ships. U.S. forces retaliated by bombarding targets in southern Iran, touching off a cycle of attacks and counterattacks that ultimately reignited nearly two full weeks of direct fighting before Trump abruptly halted the American bombing campaign in an effort to salvage the broader deal.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry has been blunt about where it places blame for the breakdown. Spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said this week that due to what he called “the flagrant and widespread violation of the memorandum of understanding by the United States,” meaningful dialogue never even began in the weeks following the June signing. “As a result, the discussion of the 60-day deadline completely lost its relevance,” Baghaei said, adding that U.S. sanctions have “no impact” on Iran and that the real obstacle to resolving the dispute isn’t a shortage of potential mediators — pointing to Pakistan and Qatar as countries already playing an active role, alongside several European nations that have signaled willingness to offer their own diplomatic good offices.

Iran, notably, doesn’t even consider the 60-day countdown to have properly begun in the first place. A senior Iranian source told Reuters last week that Tehran never engaged in discussions with Washington about extending the ceasefire deadline, precisely because it doesn’t view the deadline as having been triggered given the U.S. actions Iran considers violations of the original agreement.

The Sticking Point: Who Controls Hormuz

Control of the Strait of Hormuz — the narrow waterway through which roughly a fifth of the world’s traded oil and gas passes — has emerged as the fundamental issue blocking any broader resolution, effectively sidelining the nuclear question that Trump had originally cited as central to his case for going to war in the first place. There has been no visible sign of compromise on the strait, and no indication that detailed, substantive nuclear talks have even started between the two sides.

Nader Itayim, a political economist following the negotiations, captured the sense of drift surrounding Monday’s deadline bluntly: “Why are we still hanging on to this 17 August date like it means something?” That skepticism reflects a broader consensus among analysts that the deadline’s expiration changes little on the ground, since the practical reality — a stalemate over the strait, no active nuclear negotiations, and a war now well into its sixth month — was already well established before the calendar caught up to it.

Neither Side Has an Easy Way Out

Both countries face genuinely difficult trade-offs in deciding how to proceed from here. For the United States, acceding to Iran’s demands over the strait would mean effectively conceding control of a critical international waterway to Tehran — a outcome that would be widely read as a significant setback for the war’s stated objectives, including curbing Iran’s nuclear ambitions. At the same time, further escalating the conflict would draw down American supplies of advanced missile interceptors, continue rattling global energy markets, and risk pushing gas prices higher domestically ahead of November’s congressional elections — a politically unwelcome outcome for an administration that has repeatedly promised the war would be resolved quickly and cited economic strength as a core selling point.

For Iran’s part, the government appears to feel considerably emboldened by how the standoff has played out so far, having successfully resisted American and Israeli military pressure for close to six months without capitulating on its core demands regarding the strait. That posture carries its own risks for Tehran, however, given the toll continued conflict and Western sanctions continue to take on Iran’s already strained economy.

Where Things Stand for American Policy

Supporters of the administration’s approach argue that refusing to cave to Iran’s demands over Hormuz — even at the cost of a missed diplomatic deadline — reflects appropriate resolve rather than failure, and that a war fought to prevent Iran from ever obtaining a nuclear weapon shouldn’t be judged a disappointment simply because a symbolic 60-day clock expired without a finalized agreement. Critics counter that the missed deadline underscores a broader pattern in which the administration’s stated war aims have consistently outpaced what it has actually been able to achieve on the ground, pointing to the unresolved strait standoff, the absence of any real nuclear negotiations, and a conflict that has dragged on far longer and at far greater cost than initially promised.

What Comes Next

With neither Washington nor Tehran showing signs of blinking first, and with the underlying memorandum of understanding already effectively abandoned in practice well before Monday’s formal deadline, the war appears likely to continue grinding on without a clear resolution in sight. Diplomatic channels through third parties, including Pakistan, Qatar, and potentially several European governments, remain nominally open, but with both sides publicly insisting the other bears responsibility for the collapse of the June agreement, a genuine breakthrough does not appear imminent.

This story is developing.

    author avatar
    Modern Memo Truth Collective

    Leave a Reply